Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Choosing Between Job Offers

It's that time of year--the end of the academic job-hunting season--and just about everyone I know who was on the market has either accepted a new position or is staying put in VAP or adjunct land.

Some are even walking away from the academy because they're sick of looking for a tenure-track job and starting to wonder how much more of their life will pass them by while they struggle to find academic employment. This has been a very disappointing season for many ABDs and PhDs who hoped to find work.

Even though I had finally come to terms with finding a non-academic job, I decided to give the academic job search another go and applied for six select positions. To my surprise, just when I was OK with walking away, academia sucked me back into its clutches.

I was incredibly fortunate on the market this year (for the first time ever) and actually had to decide which job offer I was going to accept and which one I was going to decline. I had no idea how to go about making this important decision because, like most of us, I was trained to say YES to pretty much any tenure-track offer extended to me. Having more than one option seemed unthinkable.

But it happened.



Here are the factors that I considered and which helped me to decide. Good luck to all those facing a similar dilemma.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
This is a nice blog and Helpful for me because i have a blog too and i want to simply ask if you want some exchange link to help my blog too. :)



DirectGov Jobs



thanks you very much.
Darwin

assignment help australia said...

First, thank you very much for the presentation of a topic. Add to depict the reality of life. This is real life, each move is just a lot of people will help me, I believe.

Jim Marven said...

It's really a nice and helpful piece of information. I'm glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this.
site merchandising

John Adam said...

This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.
ouedkniss immobilier

Jr. Williams said...

You have got some great posts in your blog. Keep up with the good work.
노래방알바

expertshelp said...

You have a way of publishing the kind of content that very informative and helpful. Great work .
Do my article writing

Unknown said...

Amazing content with proper examples and I like your Article thanks for shairing pleas click
Fence